Saipal Base Camp Trek
Saipal Base Camp Trek Overview
The Saipal Base Camp Trek is a trekking route located in western Nepal, close to the border with Tibet (China). The trek got its name after the Saipal mountain.
Mount Saipal being the 2nd highest peak in far west Nepal lies at a height of 7031 m and is situated in Humla district in Nepal. This trio of Api, Nampa, and Saipal form a small range of sharp, icy peaks. It rises from a long, steep, snowy crest. Saipal base camp itself lies at an elevation of 4700m.
Mount Saipal was first climbed in 1960. In the early 2000s, there was a restriction in this place due to long-lasting conflict between Maoist and Nepal governments until they came to an agreement achieving peace and a chance to visit this place again in 2006. Apart from this, Chetri, Brahmins, and some Thakurs and Bhotias populate this region. The Saipal Base Camp Trek introduces you to adventurous trails on unique terrain.
Saipal Base Camp Trek is a kind of off-the-beaten-track and very remote part of Nepal yet very beautiful and fascinating. The untouched trail with a very less crowded area makes the trek amazing. On the way to Saipal base camp, you can definitely get a view of beautiful landscapes, cultural diversity, rapid rivers, pristine forests, and so forth.
Moreover, it also offers you a panoramic view of Mount Saipal, Thado Dhunga Tuppa, Kapchuli, Mount Nandadevi, etc. Some of them lie in Uttar Pradesh of India. To sum up, the trek to the Saipal base camp definitely requires you to step out of your comfort zone and explore the remote, cultural beauty of Nepal.
- Day 1-Arrival at Kathmandu
- Day 2- Kathmandu- Nepalgunj (1 hour flight)
- Day 3- Nepalgunj- Simikot (55 minutes flight)
- Day 4- Simikot -Dharapani (6 hours walk)
- Day 5- Dharapani - Kermi (6 hours walk)
- Day 6- Kermi- Yalbang ( 6 hours)
- Day 7- Yalbang - Chaala (6 hours walk)
- Day 8- Chaala- Pue Kharka (6 hours)
- Day 9- Pue Kharka- Sumju Kharka (6 hours walk)
- Day 10- Sumju Kharka- Saipal base camp (6 hours walk)
- Day 11- Sumju Kharka - Pue Kharka (6 hours )
- Day 12- Pue kharka-Gurgure Khola( 6hours walk)
- Day 13- Gurgure Khola- Lepcha Khola (6 hours walk)
- Day 14- Lepcha Khola- Rani Kharka ( 6 hours walk)
- Day 15- Rani Kharka- Tilin Kharka
- Day 16- Tilin Kharka- Tharaka Kharka- (6 hours walk)
- Day 17- Tharaka Kharka- Lampato (6 hours )
- Day 18- Lampato- lamachaur (6 hour walk)
- Day 19- Lama chaur- Chipra ( 6 hours walk)
- Day 20- Chipra- Simikot (6 hours walk)
- Day 21- simikot - Nepalgunj- Kathmandu
Trekking to any place can be physically and mentally demanding. You need to prepare yourself for the journey since the trek to the Saipal base camp is all about walking 6-7 hours per day.
It is obvious that you need to be in a good health and a proper physical state in order to make this journey. You can always practice some running, jogging, and light exercise to keep you prepared. However past experiences of trekking or climbing are not really required. It is also likely to suffer from altitude sickness when you are trekking to high and risky places like the Saipal base camp.
Throughout the journey, you need to be hydrated and have nutritional foods. It is better to have an oximetry with you so that you can check your oxygen level from time to time. If you ever feel like having difficulties in breathing then you can immediately contact your guide or friends.
Symptoms of Mountain sickness
- Loss of appetite
- Shortness of breath
- Fast heartbeats
Preventing mountain sickness
- Walk slow
- Stay hydrated
- Have nutritional food
- Have enough rest
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
Medicines for mountain sickness
- Ibuprofen, paracetamol (for headache)
- Promethazine (for nausea)
Trekking Equipment List
|Woolen t-shirts/shirts/thick sweaters.||Backpack/Duffle bag|
|Jackets (Fiber or down)||Passport size photographs|
|Raincoat||Permit and travel insurance|
|Pair of sandals||Suns cream and lip balm|
|Trekking trousers||Wash kit|
|Sleeping trousers||First aid kit|
|Hiking shorts||Power bank|
|Waterproof pants||Summer/winter hat|
|Sleeping bag/Sleeping bag liner||Water bottles and water purifiers|
|Hiking boots||Trekking poles|
|Gloves and beanies||Camera|
|Snow glasses and sunglasses||trekking map|
|Neck gaiter||Water purification|
|Sun hat/woolen hat||Water bottles|
Travel insurance has become part of trekking requirements. If you ever have some medical emergencies your travel insurance will have to bear it and that is why you need to mention the details about the places you are going and the altitudes you will be reaching. Insurance depends on the details you mentioned earlier.
All foreigners except Indians are required to have valid visas and passports to enter Nepal. The visa application will need the passport having a minimum of 6 months of validation along with your passport-size photo. You will receive your visa upon your arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport.
Payment and Cancellation
Policy regarding Payment and Cancellation Payment:
1) To confirm a reservation, a deposit equal to 30% of the total price is required.
2) If the payment is made online, the remaining balance is due 10 days before the Tour, Trekking, Peak Climbing, or Expedition begins. If the payment is made in cash, it can be made after arrival.
3) If the booking is made within 30 days of the expedition beginning, full payment must be made at the time of booking.
1) A full refund of the deposit will be given if a Tour, Trek, Peak Climbing, or Expedition is canceled more than 60 days before the start date.
2) The deposit will not be refunded if a Tour, Trek, Peak Climbing, or Expedition is canceled within 30 days of its start date.
3) A tour, trek, peak climbing, or expedition will not be refunded if it is canceled prior to or on the start date.
4) All participants should strongly consider purchasing travel insurance to cover any unforeseen cancellations or other occurrences.
Note: We reserve the right to modify or cancel any trek in the event of a natural disaster, political unrest, or any other unforeseen circumstances beyond our control. In such cases, a full refund or an alternative option will be provided.
Dates of Trip
Group Discount Prices
Frequently Asked Questions
Price W/O Addons: US$ 3440 per person
- A detailed certificate from Marvel Treks and Expedition (after accomplishment)
- A complimentary raincoat to shed you during the rainy season. (returnable)
- A Complimentary Duffel Bag throughout the trek from our company. (returnable)
- A warm complimentary Down Jacket during the entire trek on behalf of Marvel Treks. (returnable)
- A complimentary sleeping bag for your icy trek. (returnable)
- The essential climbing gear like mountain axe, trekking sticks, etc, for your need throughout the trek. (returnable)
- Delightful complimentary Authentic Nepali cuisine as dinner to embark on your arrival and departure
- Critical complimentary First Aid Service (in times of need)
- An informative trekking map for you to cherish on behalf of our company
- Trendy Sunhat and t-shirt as souvenirs on behalf of Marvel Treks and Expedition.
- All the crucial services about airport transfer to and from the hotel via a private tourist vehicle ($40)
- TIMS (Trekkers’ Information Management Systems )($10)
- National park entry fees / ACAP permits / Conservation entry fees. ( $30)
- All essential local tax and office service charges Gov tax ($100 )
- Miscellaneous ($30)
- 2 nights accommodation in a Kathmandu (Kathmandu hotel or similar) ($40)
- Porter Guide ($720)
- Marvel Treks and Expedition won’t be responsible for all the Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu.
- Extra nights in any city that’s not accommodated in the itinerary of Marvel Treks and Expedition.
- All the International flight checks and airfares.
- Marvel Treks and Expedition won’t be responsible for alcoholic/ non-alcoholic liquors.
- Additional porter fees along with tips for guides and porters.
- Electronic gadgets like chargers, and headphones.
- Individual costs like a hot shower, phone calls, laundry, and, souvenirs.
- Travel coverage and emergency evacuations.
- Tips for our staff’s drivers.
Saipal Base Camp Trek