Upper Dolpo Trek
Upper Dolpo Trek Overview
Upper Dolpo is a remote place, yet a very rewarding trek that lies in the mid-western region, between Tibet and Mount Dhaulagiri of Nepal. Upper Dolpo Trek comprises a vast arid region of rolling semi-desert highlands, a continuation of the topography of the Tibetan Plateau Upper Dolpo basically is a restricted area but we can get a special permit from the government which costs 500$. This place opened in 1989 publicly.
The route to Upper Dolpo is usually over 4000 m offering all the views of landscapes and green forests. The area is beautifully decorated with local villages, monasteries, prayer walls, and gompas. This area falls under the protection of Shey Phoksundo National Park.
The Park is the largest national park in Nepal and covers an area of 3,555 km2. In addition, you can see several floras and fauna throughout your journey. Dolpo is one of the few remaining places where the people of pre-Buddhist religion practiced Bon Po. Bon PO religion is quite similar to Buddhism. However, the only difference is this religion walks anti-clockwise around stupas and shrines.
The walk normally begins in Juphal and travels through a number of small communities, via high-altitude lakes, and over a number of challenging mountain passes before arriving in Jomsom.
Trekkers will have the chance to experience stunning views of some of the highest peaks in the world, such as Mount Dhaulagiri, Annapurna, and Makalu, along the way. They will also have the opportunity to learn about the distinctive customs and cultures of the Dolpo people. In spite of the effect of modernization, nonetheless lead mostly traditional lives.
The Upper Dolpo Trek is a challenging trek that is appropriate for experienced trekkers. It needs a high degree of physical fitness and takes two to three weeks to accomplish. Many trekkers discover the experience to be immensely rewarding and well worth the effort despite the challenges.
Highlights of Upper Dolpo Trek
- Amazing Shey Gompa and the lifestyle around it
- Explore the remoteness of the Dolpo region
- Visit the deepest Shey Phoksundo lake
- Diverse flora and fauna of Shey Phoksundo National Park
- Bon Po highly Influenced Tibetan cultures
- Day 1- Kathmandu to Nepalgunj, (1 hour flight)
- Day 2- Nepalgunj to Jhupal Flight and Trek to Dunai,(3 hours walk)
- Day 3- Dunai to Ankhe, (5-6 hours walk)
- Day 4- Ankhe to Sulighat, (5-6 hours walk)
- Day 5- Sulighat to Phoksundo Lake, (4 hours walk)
- Day 6- Phoksundo Lake to Phoksundo Khola, (5 hours walk)
- Day 7- Phoksundo Khola to Phoksundo Bhanjyang, (6 hours walk)
- Day 8- Phoksundo Bhanjyang to Shey Gompa, (5 hours walk)
- Day 9- Shey Gompa to Namduna Gaun,(6-7 hours walk)
- Day 10- Namduna Gaun to Saldang,(4-5 hours walk)
- Day 11- Saldang to Yangze Gompa,(4 hours walk)
- Day 12- Yangze Gompa to Sibu,(6-7 hours walk)
- Day 13- Sibu to Jeng La Phedi,(5 hours walk)
- Day 14- Jeng La Phedi to Tokyo Gaun,(5-6 hours walk)
- Day 15- Tokyo Gaun to Dho Tarap,(4 hours walk)
- Day 16- Dho Tarap to Tarap Khola,(6 hours walk)
- Day 17-Tarap Khola to Khani Gaun,(4 hours walk)
- Day 18- Khani Gaun to Tarakot,(4 hours walk)
- Day 19- Tarakot to Dunai,(5-6 hours walk)
- Day 20- Dunai to Jhupal,(2-3 hours walk)
- Day 21- Jhupal to Nepalgunj and Kathmandu
Difficulties and Safety
Dolpo is a remote area, and trekking to this place can be slightly challenging. This is a moderately difficult trek. However, the level of difficulty entirely depends on your physical and mental fitness. But you can build your muscle strength, and make your body flexible by practicing some light exercise, running, and jogging.
The trek to Upper Dolpo is all about walking 5-6 hours per day for at least 20 days. This reason solely is enough to make this trek challenging. The trails are rugged, steep, and maybe snowy on off-seasons. The maximum height in this trek is the base camp (5ooom) with other high passes over 4000m on the way. There is a high risk of mountain sickness.
Symptoms of Mountain sickness
- Loss of appetite
- Shortness of breath
- Fast heartbeats
Preventing mountain sickness
- Walk slow
- Stay hydrated
- Have nutritional food
- Have enough rest
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
Medicines for mountain sickness
- Ibuprofen, paracetamol (for headache)
- Promethazine (for nausea)
Trekking Equipment List
|Woolen t-shirts/shirts/thick sweaters.||Backpack/Duffle bag|
|Jackets Fiber or down||Passport size photographs|
|Raincoat||Permit and travel insurance|
|Pair of sandals||Suns cream and lip balm|
|Trekking trousers||Wash kit|
|Sleeping trousers||First aid kit|
|Hiking shorts||Power bank|
|Waterproof pants||Summer/winter hat|
|Sleeping bag/Sleeping bag liner||Water bottles and water purifiers|
|Hiking boots||Trekking poles|
|Gloves and beanies||Camera|
|Snow glasses and sunglasses||trekking map|
|Neck gaiter||Water purification|
|Sun hat/woolen hat||Water bottles|
Trekking to high altitudes can always be risky. Travel Insurance is something you might want to do before trekking anywhere. Sometimes in emergency cases, people need to be evacuated through a helicopter and get medical service. So, in such cases, your travel insurance will be bearing the cost for you.
Seeing all these benefits, the government of Nepal has made travel insurance mandatory thing before trekking. However, it is very important to mention the heights and all the places you will be reaching during your trek. Your insurance entirely depends on the details you provided earlier. Travel insurance costs you around 150$ which is good for 1 month.
If you are not a Nepalese or Indian citizen, then a visa and a passport are mandatory. You can get your Nepalese Visa at Tribhuwan International Airport in Kathmandu. The passport must hold a visa of a minimum of 6 months.
Payment and Cancellation
Policy regarding Payment and Cancellation Payment:
1) To confirm a reservation, a deposit equal to 30% of the total price is required.
2) If the payment is made online, the remaining balance is due 10 days before the Tour, Trekking, Peak Climbing, or Expedition begins. If the payment is made in cash, it can be made after arrival.
3) If the booking is made within 30 days of the expedition beginning, full payment must be made at the time of booking.
1) A full refund of the deposit will be given if a Tour, Trek, Peak Climbing, or Expedition is canceled more than 60 days before the start date.
2) The deposit will not be refunded if a Tour, Trek, Peak Climbing, or Expedition is canceled within 30 days of its start date.
3) A tour, trek, peak climbing, or expedition will not be refunded if it is canceled prior to or on the start date.
4) All participants should strongly consider purchasing travel insurance to cover any unforeseen cancellations or other occurrences.
Note: We reserve the right to modify or cancel any trek in the event of a natural disaster, political unrest, or any other unforeseen circumstances beyond our control. In such cases, a full refund or an alternative option will be provided.
Dates of Trip
January 28, 2023 - February 17, 2023
February 18, 2023 - March 10, 2023
March 11, 2023 - March 31, 2023
April 1, 2023 - April 21, 2023
April 22, 2023 - May 12, 2023
May 13, 2023 - June 2, 2023
June 3, 2023 - June 23, 2023
June 24, 2023 - July 14, 2023
July 15, 2023 - August 4, 2023
August 5, 2023 - August 25, 2023
August 26, 2023 - September 15, 2023
September 16, 2023 - October 6, 2023
October 7, 2023 - October 27, 2023
October 28, 2023 - November 17, 2023
November 18, 2023 - December 8, 2023
December 9, 2023 - December 29, 2023
December 30, 2023 - January 19, 2024
January 20, 2024 - February 9, 2024
February 10, 2024 - March 1, 2024
March 2, 2024 - March 22, 2024
March 23, 2024 - April 12, 2024
April 13, 2024 - May 3, 2024
May 4, 2024 - May 24, 2024
May 25, 2024 - June 14, 2024
June 15, 2024 - July 5, 2024
July 6, 2024 - July 26, 2024
July 27, 2024 - August 16, 2024
August 17, 2024 - September 6, 2024
September 7, 2024 - September 27, 2024
September 28, 2024 - October 18, 2024
October 19, 2024 - November 8, 2024
November 9, 2024 - November 29, 2024
November 30, 2024 - December 20, 2024
December 21, 2024 - January 10, 2025
January 11, 2025 - January 31, 2025
February 1, 2025 - February 21, 2025
February 22, 2025 - March 14, 2025
March 15, 2025 - April 4, 2025
April 5, 2025 - April 25, 2025
April 26, 2025 - May 16, 2025
May 17, 2025 - June 6, 2025
June 7, 2025 - June 27, 2025
June 28, 2025 - July 18, 2025
July 19, 2025 - August 8, 2025
August 9, 2025 - August 29, 2025
August 30, 2025 - September 19, 2025
September 20, 2025 - October 10, 2025
October 11, 2025 - October 31, 2025
November 1, 2025 - November 21, 2025
November 22, 2025 - December 12, 2025
December 13, 2025 - January 2, 2026
Group Discount Prices
Frequently Asked Questions
Price W/O Addons: US$ 970 per person
- A detailed certificate from Marvel Treks and Expedition (after accomplishment)
- Trendy Sunhat and t-shirt as souvenirs on behalf of Marvel Treks and Expedition.
- A complimentary raincoat to shed you during the rainy season.
- A Complimentary Duffel Bag throughout the trek from our company. (returnable)
- A warm complimentary Down Jacket during the entire trek on behalf of Marvel Treks. (returnable)
- A complimentary sleeping bag for your icy trek. (returnable)
- Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner throughout the trek.
- The essential climbing gear like mountain axe, trekking sticks, etc, for your need throughout the trek. (returnable)
- Delightful complimentary Authentic Nepali cuisine as dinner to embark on your arrival and departure
- Critical complimentary First Aid Service (in times of need)
- An informative trekking map for you to cherish on behalf of our company
- All the crucial services about airport transfer to and from the hotel via a private tourist vehicle ($40)
- TIMS (Trekkers’ Information Management Systems )($10)
- National park entry fees / ACAP permits / Conservation entry fees. ( $30)
- All essential local tax and Gov tax ($130 )
- All the required office service charges. ($200)
- Essential Medical supplies and first aid equipment will be provided.
- Upper Dolpo Special Permit ($40)
- Restricted Area Special Permit per first ten days ($500)
- Miscellaneous ($20)
- Porter Guide ($800)
- Marvel Treks and Expedition won’t be responsible for all the Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu.
- Extra nights in any city that’s not accommodated in the itinerary of Marvel Treks and Expedition.
- All the International flight checks and airfares.
- Marvel Treks and Expedition won’t be responsible for alcoholic/ non-alcoholic liquors.
- Additional porter fees along with tips for guides and porters.
- Electronic gadgets like chargers, and headphones.
- Individual costs like a hot shower, phone calls, laundry, and souvenirs.
- Travel coverage and emergency evacuations.
- Tips for our staff’s drivers.
Upper Dolpo Trek