Chulu West Peak climbing
Chulu West Peak climbing Overview
Chulu West Peak Climbing is one of the most exciting adventure sports sport in Nepal. It is also one kind of most popular activity while you are trekking. The mountain offers stunning and impressive view to the tourists which makes this activity even more attractive and adventurous.
Chulu west peak is one of the most beautiful peaks in part of the bigger Damodar Himal range, Annapurna region, and is a popular trekking peak. Chulu west stands at the height of 6419m from sea level. In 1952, a Japanese expedition made the first ascend to Chulu west. Since the peak is a trekking peak, Chulu west doesn’t come with many technical difficulties and challenges.
Experienced, as well as beginner trekkers with basic mountaineering ideas, can climb this peak. There is great confusion among climbers about this peak, whether the climb is in the east or in the west of the Chulu. There are basically 4 summits on Chulu, from which 2 are from the east side and 2 from the west side. The west side route is slightly less technical and safe as compared to the route of the east side. The Chulu west has a grade of PD/3. Chulu West trek can be combined with the Annapurna circuit trek by just adding a few days to your journey.
The main reason behind Chulu west being so beautiful and popular is the top view the peak provides. To the south is the beautiful Tilicho peak and Annapurna Himalayan range and to the north is the view of Tibet and China. Even though an easier peak climbing Chulu West requires excellent physical and mental fitness.
This route takes around 17-18 days with proper rest and days off for acclimatization. It might cost you around 1800-2300$. The cost entirely depends on the mode of transportation, food, accommodation, clothing, number of days and the size of group.
Highlights of Chulu West Peak climbing
- Climb Chulu west peak
- Diverse flora and fauna of Annapurna Conservation Area
- Close-up view of Annapurna Range and Tilicho peak
- Day 01: Kathmandu to Besisahar. (7-8 hours drive)
- Day 02: Basisahar to Chame (5-8 hours, drive)
- Day 03: Trek to Pisang ( 4-6 hours walk).
- Day 04: Trek to Manang (5 hours walk)
- Day 05: Manang to Ledar, (4-5 hours walk)
- Day 06: Trek to Chulu base camp
- Day 7 : Base camp to High camp/Cam I
- Day 8: Summit Chulu West (6,419-meter) back to base camp/high camp
- Day 9: Base camp/High Camp trek to Thorong Phedi
- Day 10: Trek to Muktinath through over Thorong La pass
- Day 11: Trek to Jomsom, (6 hours walk)
- Day 12: Fly back to Pokhara from Jomsom, or drive to Pokhara by Bus/Jeep
- Day 13: Pokhara to Kathmandu (5 hours drive)
Chulu West Climbing Difficulties
Chulu west peak is comparatively an easier peak. However, it doesn’t mean it comes without challenges. The road to Chulu west peak base camp is rough, steep, and can be snowy. The trail above the base camp is more challenging. The extreme temperature and altitude can be a serious problem if you don’t apply the necessary precaution.
Any peak climbing requires concentration, focus, patience, and knowledge. Physical and mental stability is the most important factor. Physical fitness can be built by running, jogging, and doing some light exercise before starting your trek. It is relieving to know that Chulu west peak is an easy one and good for beginners or someone without experience. The average walking hour of 4-5 per day, and overnight camping, risk of altitude sickness, combining all these facts, the trek and climb to Chulu west peak can be moderately difficult.
Symptoms of Mountain sickness
- Loss of appetite
- Shortness of breath
- Fast heartbeats
Preventing mountain sickness
- Walk slow
- Stay hydrated
- Have nutritional food
- Have enough rest
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
Medicines for mountain sickness
- Ibuprofen, paracetamol (for headache)
- Promethazine (for nausea)
Peak climbing Equipment List
|Valid Passport||Thin Fleece Gloves (2 Pairs)|
|Credit/Debit Card||Wind Stopper / Screen Tap Gloves (2 Pairs)|
|pP Size Photo (4 Pieces)||Heavy Gloves (Guide Gloves)|
|Insurance Paper And Contact Address||Summit Gloves – 8000m.|
|Foot Wear||Sleeping Bags|
|Summit Boot – 8000m. (Kailas / Lasportiva / Millet )||Sleeping Bag -20OC to -30OC|
|Climbing Boot – 6000m. (Kailas / Lasportiva / Millet)||Down Sleeping Bag -40OC (Extreme Comfort)|
|Normal Socks (5-8 Pairs)||Thermarest Mattress (Cell Foam)|
|Summit Socks/6000 m. Socks (2 Pairs)||Down Mattress (Inflatable)|
|Trekking Shoes (Gore Tex)||Sleeping Bag Liner|
|Light Trekking/Sports Shoes||Inflatable Pillow|
|Camp Booties (1 Pair)||Climbing Equipment|
|Slipper (1 Pair)||Climbing Helmet|
|Upper Body||Summit Down Suit – 8000m.|
|Thermal Top Base Layer (2-3 Pcs)||Ice Axe with Spike & Axe Protector Harness|
|Fleece Jacket (1-2 Pcs)||Belay Devices/ Figure of 8/ ATC Guide Jumar / Ascender|
|Gore Tex Jacket (1 Pcs)||Lock Carabiner (3 Pcs) Unlock Carabiner (2 Pcs) Tape Slings/240 cm|
|Wind Proof Jacket (1-2 Pcs)||Snow Goggle (Summit Purpose, Antifog, Polarized, UV Protection)|
|Down Jacket (1-2 Pcs)||Head Light 500-700 Lumens Spare|
|Cotton T-Shirt (3-5 Pcs)||Battery (Energizer Ultimate Lithium)|
|Lower Body||Satellite Phone With Credit (Optional)|
|Thermal Bottom Base Layer (2-3 Pcs)||Walking Stick/ Trekking Pole|
|Fleece Trouser (1-2 pcs)||Pocket Knife (Swiss)|
|Gore Tex Pant (1 pcs)||Altimeter Watch|
|Light Weight Quick Dry Trekking Pants (2-3 Pairs)||Pee Bottle|
|Gaiters for trekking boots||Power Bank|
|Down Pants (1pcs)||Crampons (Fit with Boot)/Packing Cover|
|Under Wear (4-6 Pcs)||Bag Packs|
|Sun Stuffs||Rucksacks 35 L – 50 L|
|Banana Boat/ Nivea Sun Cream (up to -50 Spf)||Duffle Bag 120 L-150 L (2 Pcs)|
|Lip Guard -30 to -50 (Spf)||Lundry/Garbage Bag (Large)|
|Sun Glasses (Uv Protection)||Water Proof Stuff Sacks/Dry Bag- Small/ Medium/ Large (3-4 Pcs)|
|Glaciers Glasses (Uv Protection)||Medical/First Aid|
|Moisturiser / Lotion||Brufen / Ibuprofens|
|Eating & Drinking||Antibiotic|
|1 Ltr. Water Bottle||Diamox|
|1/ 1.5 Ltr. Thermos||Paracetamol|
|Mug (Opt.)||Handy Plaster|
|Spoon/ Fork (Opt.)||Crack Bandage|
|Bowl (Opt.)||Tincture Iodine|
|Umbrella / Rain Coat||Electrolyte|
|Hot Water Bag||Minil 10mg (Palpitation, anxiety)|
|Camera||Codopar (Headache & chest pain)|
|GPS Tracker (Recommended)||Salbetol 4mg (Breathless)|
|Hand & Toe Warmer||Azithromycin 500mg (chronic tonsillitis, fever, nose, throat infection-must take 5 days)|
|Toiletries (Personal)||Flupen 250mg (prevent wound infection)|
|Toilet Paper / Wet Tissue||Allegra 120/180mg (Allergic tonsil)|
|Towel||Fleece Hat/ Warm Hat (1-2 Pcs)|
|Garbage Bag||Neck Gaiter (2-3 Pcs)|
Payment and Cancellation
Policy regarding Payment and Cancellation Payment:
1) To confirm a reservation, a deposit equal to 30% of the total price is required.
2) If the payment is made online, the remaining balance is due 10 days before the Tour, Trekking, Peak Climbing, or Expedition begins. If the payment is made in cash, it can be made after arrival. 3) If the booking is made within 30 days of the expedition beginning, full payment must be made at the time of booking.
1)A full refund of the deposit will be given if a Tour, Trek, Peak Climbing, or Expedition is canceled more than 60 days before the start date.
2)The deposit will not be refunded if a Tour, Trek, Peak Climbing, or Expedition is canceled within 30 days of its start date.
3)A tour, trek, peak climbing, or expedition will not be refunded if it is canceled prior to or on the start date.
4)All participants should strongly consider purchasing travel insurance to cover any unforeseen cancellations or other occurrences.
Note: We reserve the right to modify or cancel any trek in the event of a natural disaster, political unrest, or any other unforeseen circumstances beyond our control. In such cases, a full refund or an alternative option will be provided.
Dates of Trip
Group Discount Prices
Frequently Asked Questions
Price W/O Addons: US$ 1355 per person
- A detailed certificate from Marvel Treks and Expedition (after accomplishment)
- A complimentary raincoat to shed you during the rainy season.(returnable)
- A Complimentary Duffel Bag throughout the trek from our company. (returnable)
- A warm complimentary Down Jacket during the entire trek on behalf of Marvel Treks. (returnable)
- A complimentary sleeping bag for your icy trek. (returnable)
- The essential climbing gears like mountain axe, trekking sticks etc, for your need throughout the trek. (returnable)
- Delightful complimentary Authentic Nepali cuisine as dinner to embark on your arrival and departure
- Critical complimentary First Aid Service (in times of need)
- An informative trekking map for you to cherish on behalf of our company
- Trendy Sunhat and t-shirt as souvenirs on behalf of Marvel Treks and Expedition.
- All the crucial services about airport transfer to and from the hotel via a private tourist vehicle ($40)
- 2 nights accommodation in a Kathmandu (Kathmandu hotel or similar) ($40)
- 1 nights accommodation in a Pokhara (Center lake hotel or similar) ($40)
- The Garbage Disposal System will be accommodated by our company.($500)
- Climbing Permit for Peak Climbing ($250)
- TIMS (Trekkers’ Information Management Systems )($10)
- National park entry fees / ACAP permits / Conservation entry fees. ( $30)
- All essential local tax, office service charges, and Gov tax ($100 )
- Porter service ($325)
- Marvel Treks and Expedition won’t be responsible for all the Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu.
- Extra nights in any city that’s not accommodated in the itinerary of Marvel Treks and Expedition.
- Summit bonus (250 USD)
- All the International flight checks and airfares.
- Marvel Treks and Expedition won’t be responsible for alcoholic/ non-alcoholic liquors.
- Additional porter fees along with tips of guides and porters.
- Tips for Climbing Sherpa (200 USD)
- Electronic gadgets like chargers, headphones.
- Individual costs like a hot shower, phone calls, laundry, souvenirs.
- Travel coverage and emergency evacuations.
- Tips for our staff’s drivers.
Chulu West Peak climbing