Lumba Sumba Pass Trek
Lumba Sumba Pass Trek Overview
Lumba Sumba pass (5160m) is one of the less explored areas which opened publicly in 2012. Here, the trail passing through the Kanchenjunga Conservation Area and Makalu Barun National park in the Eastern part of the country connects both regions and you can explore both the base camp in a single trek.
This pass falls under the Great Himalayan Trail (GMT). Some major attractions in this trek are different ethnic groups like Sherpa, Rai, Gurung, Magar, Newar, and Tamang, beautiful landscapes, diverse flora and faunas, Kanchenjunga Base Camp, and Mt Makalu, and Lumba Sumba peak (5200m) itself.
Endangered animals like snow leopards, red panda, and different species of birds are available here. Apart from this, you can also see cultural heritages, monasteries, stupas, temples, and prayer walls. Lumba Sumba pass is bordered by the Arun River in the east and Sagarmatha National Park in its west.
This trek is quite challenging and adventurous providing a unique opportunity to travel through a remote and unfrequented part of Nepal. Moreover, anyone with good fitness and keen to explore new areas can do this trek, which doesn’t require any experience.
This trek takes around 20/21 days with proper rest and a few days off. It cost approximately 2100-2500$ including the airway and ground transportation, permits, insurance, clothing, food, accommodations etc.
Highlights of Lumba Sumba Pass Trek
- Explore the connecting pass of the Kanchenjunga and Makalu region
- Get to enjoy the hospitality of Rai, Sherpa, Tamang, Newar, and Gurung people.
- Explore different historical monasteries, stupas, temples, and prayer walls.
- Explore the diverse flora and fauna of both Kanchenjunga Conservation Area and Makalu Barun National Park.
- Explore the Kanchenjunga and Makalu Base camp (optional)
- Day 1- arrival at Kathmandu
- Day 2- Kathmandu- Bhadrapur 1 hour flight
- Day 3- Bhadrapur- Taplejung 6 hours drive
- Day 4- Taplejung –chiruwa 6-7 hours walk
- Day 5- Chiruwa-Lelep 7 hours walk
- Day 6- Lelep- Illa danda 6-7 hours walk
- Day 7- Illa danda- selep kharka 7-8 hours walk
- Day 8- Selep Kharka- Olachung Gola 7-8 hours walk
- Day 9- Olachung Gola- Upper Langmale 7 hours walk
- Day 10- upper Langmale-Lumba sumba pass camp 6 hours walk
- Day 11- Lumba Subba pass camp- Chauri Kharka 9-10 hours walk
- Day 12- Chauri Kharka- Thudam 7 hours walk
- Day 13- Thudam-Kharka 6 hours
- Day 14- Kharka-chyamtang 5-6 hours walk
- Day 15- Chyamtang-Hatiya 5-6 hours walk
- Day 16- Hatiya- Gola 6 hours walk
- Day 17- Gola- Hedanga Gadi 7 hours walk
- Day 18- Hedanga Gadi- Num- Tumlingtar 6-7 hours walk
- Day 19- Tumlingtar- Kathmandu 50 minutes flight
Best season to go
The best season to trek the Lumba Subba pass is spring (March-May) and autumn (September- November).
In this season the temperature is very favorable. In the spring season, you can see a green forest, Rhododendrons, and beautiful mountain views. This season doesn’t receive much rainfall and the trails are in the best condition. There is a slight chance of snowfall which doesn’t make the trek difficult rather makes it more beautiful.
ALSO: Lauribina Pass Trek
In the autumn season, the views are very clear with crystal blue sky and also the dark, mossy forest. The atmosphere is very clear. It is still possible to trek in the Monsoon season and winter season but due to heavy rainfall and snowfall, you have to be more careful with the trails since they are muddy and slippery.
Travel insurance – Travel insurance is kind of a mandatory thing before traveling anywhere. You can always purchase your travel insurance from your travel agencies. It usually costs around 150$(15000 NRS) good for 30 days. You need to give them complete details about the places and altitudes you will be reaching because your insurance depends on details you have given earlier.
Nepal visas/passports – foreigners other than Indians need to have valid visas and passports before visiting Nepal. The passport must hold a minimum of 6 months of visa validity from their date of arrival. They can have a Nepalese visa at Kathmandu Tribhuwan International airport.
Clothing and equipment
|Trekking shocks||Torch lights|
|Water proof pants||Sunglasses|
|Water proof jackets||Beanies and gloves|
|Warm shirts and t shirts||Medicines|
|Thermal tops and bottoms||Toiletries|
|Fleece jacket||Safety kit|
|Down jacket||Hand sanitizers|
|Trekking pole||Water bottles and water purifier|
|Raincoats||Trash bag and tissue papers|
|Duffel bags||Power banks|
|Flip-flops||Passports/ passport size photographs|
Dates of Trip
Group Discount Prices
Frequently Asked Questions
Price W/O Addons: US$ 550 /pax
- A detailed certificate from Marvel Treks and Expedition (after accomplishment)
- Trendy Sunhat and t-shirt as souvenirs on behalf of Marvel Treks and Expedition.
- A complimentary raincoat to shed you during the rainy season.
- A Complimentary Duffel Bag throughout the trek from our company. (returnable)
- A warm complimentary Down Jacket during the entire trek on behalf of Marvel Treks. (returnable)
- A complimentary sleeping bag for your icy trek. (returnable)
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner throughout the trek.
- The essential climbing gears like mountain axe, trekking sticks etc, for your need throughout the trek. (returnable)
- Delightful complimentary Authentic Nepali cuisine as dinner to embark on your arrival and departure
- Critical complimentary First Aid Service (in times of need)
- An informative trekking map for you to cherish on behalf of our company
- All the crucial services about airport transfer to and from the hotel via a private tourist vehicle ($20)
- TIMS (Trekkers’ Information Management Systems )($10)
- National park entry fees / ACAP permits / Conservation entry fees. ( $30)
- Special Permits and All the necessary Conservation Area and National Park tax ($100)
- All essential local tax and Gov tax ($130 )
- All the required office service charges. ($200)
- Marvel Treks and Expedition won’t be responsible for all the Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu.
- Extra nights in any city that’s not accommodated in the itinerary of Marvel Treks and Expedition.
- Summit bonus (250 USD)
- All the International flight checks and airfares.
- Marvel Treks and Expedition won’t be responsible for alcoholic/ non-alcoholic liquors.
- Additional porter fees along with tips of guides and porters.
- Tips for Climbing Sherpa (200 USD)
- Electronic gadgets like chargers, headphones.
- Individual costs like a hot shower, phone calls, laundry, souvenirs.
- Travel coverage and emergency evacuations.
- Tips for our staff’s drivers.
Lumba Sumba Pass Trek