Upper Mustang Trek
Upper Mustang Trek Overview
“The HIDDEN KINGDOM” which is commonly known as upper mustang is certainly an upper part of mustang compromising the northern two-thirds of the Mustang district of Gandaki Province. Thak is the name of the southern third (lower mustang) of the district. It is a homeland of the Thakali language combining Nepali and Tibetan cultures. Mustang has been publicly open to foreign visitors since 1992. However, there is still high restriction to the upper mustang and requires a separate permit to enter. Geographically being a part of the Tibetan Plateau, the Upper Mustang Trek is quite similar to trekking in Tibet.
Upper Mustang Trek is a real privilege. If you want to experience the lifestyle of true mountain people, who for hundreds of years had very little contact with the outside world, yes this place is for you.
Marvel Trek is a licensed expedition company. It has been providing best facilities and services to its climbers since 1998 along with some great experiences. We not only keep your safety as the priority. But also guide you to fulfill your wish of experiencing the thrill of climbing a mountain. The entire team of Marvel Trek is full of professionals who will be there to support and guide you throughout your mountaineering adventures.
Highlights of Upper Mustang Trek
The Upper Mustang trek is a popular route through the Mustang region of Nepal, known for its stunning landscape and rich cultural heritage. The trek takes you through the upper reaches of the Mustang region, which was once the kingdom of Lo. Here are some highlights of the Upper Mustang trek:
- The landscape:
- The Upper Mustang trek takes you through a varied landscape, including barren highlands, deep gorges, and snow-capped peaks. The region is home to a variety of flora and fauna, including yaks, blue sheep, and a variety of birds.
- The culture:
- The Upper Mustang region is home to a unique culture that has been largely isolated from the rest of Nepal. The trek takes you through a number of charming villages, each with its own unique way of life and traditions. You will have the opportunity to interact with the local people and learn about their daily lives.
- The monasteries:
- The Upper Mustang region is home to a number of ancient monasteries, including the famous Lo Manthang Monastery. These monasteries are an important part of the local culture and are worth visiting for their architectural and cultural significance.
- The views:
- The Upper Mustang trek offers breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape, including the Annapurna mountain range and the Dhaulagiri massif. The view from the top of Thorong La Pass, which stands at an elevation of 5,416 meters (17,769 feet), is especially stunning.
- The physical challenge:
- The Upper Mustang trek is a physically demanding journey that requires a good level of fitness and determination. However, the sense of accomplishment and the stunning views make it all
- Day 1- Arrival at Kathmandu
- Day 2- Kathmandu- Pokhara (25 minutes flight)
- Day 3- Pokhara – Jomsom - Kagbeni
- Day 4- Kagbeni- chele (5-6 hours walk)
- Day 5- Chele- Zhaite (7-8 hours)
- Day 6- Trek from Zhaite to Charang via Dhakmar and LoGekar(5-6 hours walk)
- Day 7- Trek from Charang to Lo Manthang (explore the ancient city, (5-6 hours walk)
- Day 8- Trek from Lo Manthang - Dhakmar via Lo Gekar, (6-7hours walk)
- Day 9-Trek from Dhakmar – Gelling, (4-5 hours walk)
- Day 10- Trek from Geling - Chuksang, (7-8 hours walk)
- Day 11- Chuksang - Jomsom, (5-6 hours walk)
- Day 12- Jomsom – Pokhara (25 minutes flight)
- Day 13- Pokhara – Kathmandu
- Day 14- Kathmandu Free day
- Day 15- Departure
The average upper mustang trek takes 17/18 days in which your walking hours will be 6-7. Walking for such long hours can be quite challenging, especially for beginners. It is always better to prepare yourself by doing some running, jogging, and light exercises. As for the level of altitude sickness, it depends on the maximum height you will be reaching. There are a few places you want to go like Marang La at 4230m, chooser at 3900m, or Lo Manthang at 3810m. However, they all are quite high so it’s likely to have altitude sickness. You need to take some precautions like being hydrated throughout the whole journey, avoiding alcoholic beverages for a few days, and walking slowly so that you can adjust to the height.
Symptoms of Mountain sickness
- Loss of appetite
- Shortness of breath
- Fast heartbeats
Preventing mountain sickness
- Walk slow
- Stay hydrated
- Have nutritional food
- Have enough rest
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
Medicines for mountain sickness
- Ibuprofen, paracetamol (for headache)
- Promethazine (for nausea)
Trekking Equipment List
|Woolen t shirts/shirts/thick sweaters.||Backpack/Duffle bag|
|Jackets (Fiber or down)||Passport size photographs|
|Raincoat||Permit and travel insurance|
|Pair of sandals||Suns cream and lip balm|
|Trekking trousers||Wash kit|
|Sleeping trousers||First aid kit|
|Hiking shorts||Power bank|
|Water proof pants||Summer/winter hat|
|Sleeping bag/Sleeping bag liner||Water bottles and water purifier|
|Hiking boots||Trekking poles|
|Gloves and beanies||Camera|
|Snow glasses and sunglasses||trekking map|
|Neck gaiter||Water purification|
|Sun hat/woolen hat||Water bottles|
Travel insurance- Trekking to high altitudes can always be risky. Travel Insurance is something you might want to do before trekking anywhere. Sometimes in emergency cases, people need to be evacuated through a helicopter and get medical service. So, in such cases, your travel insurance will be bearing the cost for you.
Seeing all these benefits, the government of Nepal has made travel insurance mandatory thing before trekking. However, it is very important to mention the heights and all the places you will be reaching during your trek. Your insurance entirely depends on the details you have provided earlier. Travel insurance costs you around 150$ which is good for 1 month.
Visas/passports- If you are not a Nepalese or Indian citizen, then a visa and a passport are mandatory. You can get your Nepalese Visa at Tribhuvan airport in Kathmandu. The passport must hold a visa of a minimum of 6 months.
Payment and Cancellation
Policy regarding Payment and Cancellation Payment:
1) To confirm a reservation, a deposit equal to 30% of the total price is required.
2) If the payment is made online, the remaining balance is due 10 days before the Tour, Trekking, Peak Climbing, or Expedition begins. If the payment is made in cash, it can be made after arrival. 3) If the booking is made within 30 days of the expedition beginning, full payment must be made at the time of booking.
1)A full refund of the deposit will be given if a Tour, Trek, Peak Climbing, or Expedition is canceled more than 60 days before the start date.
2)The deposit will not be refunded if a Tour, Trek, Peak Climbing, or Expedition is canceled within 30 days of its start date.
3)A tour, trek, peak climbing, or expedition will not be refunded if it is canceled prior to or on the start date.
4)All participants should strongly consider purchasing travel insurance to cover any unforeseen cancellations or other occurrences.
Note: We reserve the right to modify or cancel any trek in the event of a natural disaster, political unrest, or any other unforeseen circumstances beyond our control. In such cases, a full refund or an alternative option will be provided.
Dates of Trip
Group Discount Prices
Frequently Asked Questions
Price W/O Addons: US$ 1730 per person
- A detailed certificate from Marvel Treks and Expedition (after accomplishment)
- Trendy Sunhat and t-shirt as souvenirs on behalf of Marvel Treks and Expedition.
- A complimentary raincoat to shed you during the rainy season.
- A Complimentary Duffel Bag throughout the trek from our company. (returnable)
- A warm complimentary Down Jacket during the entire trek on behalf of Marvel Treks. (returnable)
- A complimentary sleeping bag for your icy trek. (returnable)
- The essential climbing gears like mountain axe, trekking sticks etc, for your need throughout the trek. (returnable)
- Delightful complimentary Authentic Nepali cuisine as dinner to embark on your arrival and departure
- Critical complimentary First Aid Service (in times of need)
- An informative trekking map for you to cherish on behalf of our company
- All the crucial services about airport transfer to and from the hotel via a private tourist vehicle ($40)
- The Garbage Disposal System will be accommodated by our company.($500)
- Climbing Permit for Peak Climbing ($250)
- TIMS (Trekkers’ Information Management Systems )($10)
- National park entry fees / ACAP permits / Conservation entry fees. ( $30)
- All essential local tax and Gov tax ($130 )
- All the required office service charges. ($200)
- Essential Medical supplies and first aid equipment will be provided.
- Miscellaneous ($20)
- Porter Guide ($300)
- Marvel Treks and Expedition won’t be responsible for all the Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu.
- Extra nights in any city that’s not accommodated in the itinerary of Marvel Treks and Expedition.
- Summit bonus (250 USD)
- All the International flight checks and airfares.
- Marvel Treks and Expedition won’t be responsible for alcoholic/ non-alcoholic liquors.
- Additional porter fees along with tips of guides and porters.
- Tips for Climbing Sherpa (200 USD)
- Electronic gadgets like chargers, headphones.
- Individual costs like a hot shower, phone calls, laundry, souvenirs.
- Travel coverage and emergency evacuations.
- Tips for our staff’s drivers.
Upper Mustang Trek