Gokyo Ri Trek
Tea House/ Lodge
Gokyo Ri Trek Overview
If you’re planning a trekking trip to Gokyo Ri, then you’ve come to the right place! Gokyo Ri is a mountain peak located at an altitude of 5357m, west side of the Ngozumpa glacier. Ngozumpa glacier is the largest glacier in Nepal and is also known to be the largest in the whole Himalayas. Gokyo Ri trek is a difficult trek in the high Himalayas of the Everest region. Gokyo Ri, offers a wonderful view of the sunset and the sunrise. However, the amazing view of Mount Everest, Lhotse, Cho-oyu, and Makalu from the top of Gokyo Ri is the major highlight of this trek. At the base of the Gokyo Ri, there are small and beautiful stone houses.
The Gokyo Ri trek is usually done with Everest base camp trek with 3 passes trek. It is slightly off-route while visiting EBC but still many people explore the beautiful Gokyo Ri. The area can be very harsh in winter and early spring. So it’s definitely recommended that you do this trek in the high season from June through September. The trail to Gokyo Ri passes through some beautiful villages like Phakding, Namche, and Dole all the way up to the beautiful Gokyo valley.
Highlights of Gokyo Ri Trek
- explore a relatively less crowded area and the off-beaten path.
- Explore the beautiful Gokyo valley and Gokyo Ri
- Amazing view of Lhotse, Mount Everest, Makalu, and Cho-Oyu.
- Get to see many Sherpa settlements.
- Day 1 Fly to Lukla-Phakding, 3-4 hours walk
- Day 2 Phakding-Namche Bazaar, 5-6 hours walk
- Day 3- Namche Bazar-Dole,5-6 hours walk
- Day 4- Dole-Macchermo, 4 hours walk
- Day 5- Macchermo-Gokyo Valley, 4 hours walk
- Day 6- Gokyo valley-Gokyo Ri, back to valley, 4 hours walk
- Day 7- Gokyo valley-Dole,6-7 hours walk
- Day 8- Dole-Namche Bazar, 5-6 hours walk
- Day 9- Namche Bazar-Lukla, 7 hours walk
- Day 10- Lukla-Kathmandu, 35 minutes flight
Safety and difficulties of EBC
Gokyo Ri trek is categorized as a challenging and difficult trek. However, the level of difficulty entirely depends on your physical and mental fitness. But you can build your muscle strength, make your body flexible by practicing some light exercise, running, and jogging. The trek to Gokyo Ri is all about walking 5-7 hours per day for at least 17 days. You also need basic mountaineering skills like the use of crampons, at least in some parts of the trek. This only reason is enough to make this trek challenging. Also, weather in higher altitudes is quite unpredictable and likely to change. It is better to prepare for harsh weather. The trails are rugged, steep, maybe snowy in off-seasons. The maximum height in this trek is the summit of Gokyo Ri itself (5357) with other high passes on the way. You need to spend a few nights above 4000m. There is also a high risk of mountain sickness. The primary cause of altitude sickness is a decrease in the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere. It’s important to carry handheld oximetry. Oxygen saturation below 75% may be a risk.
Symptoms of Mountain sickness
- Loss of appetite
- Shortness of breath
- Fast heartbeats
Preventing mountain sickness
- Walk slow
- Stay hydrated
- Have nutritional food
- Have enough rest
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
Medicines for mountain sickness
- Ibuprofen, paracetamol (for headache)
- Promethazine (for nausea)
|Trekking shocks||Torch lights|
|Water proof pants||Sunglasses|
|Water proof jackets||Beanies and gloves|
|Warm shirts and t shirts||Medicines|
|Thermal tops and bottoms||Toiletries|
|Fleece jacket||Safety kit|
|Down jacket||Hand sanitizers|
|Trekking pole||Water bottles and water purifier|
|Raincoats||Trash bag and tissue papers|
|Sleeping bags (optional)||Charger/adapters|
|Duffel bags||Power banks|
|Raincoats||Cooking gas (optional)|
|Cooking utensils (optional)||Passport|
|Passport size photographs||Permits|
Travel insurance: Trekking to high altitudes can always be risky. Travel Insurance is something you might want to do before trekking anywhere. Sometimes in emergency cases, people need to be evacuated through a helicopter and get medical service. So, in such cases, your travel insurance will be bearing the cost for you. Seeing all these benefits,
the government of Nepal has made travel insurance mandatory thing before trekking. However, it is very important to mention the heights and all the places you will be reaching during your trek. Your insurance entirely depends on the details you have provided earlier. Travel insurance costs you around 150$ which is good for 1 month.
Visas/passports: if you are not a Nepalese or Indian citizen, then a visa and a passport are mandatory. You can get your Nepalese Visa at Tribhuvan airport in Kathmandu. The passport must hold a visa of a minimum of 6 months. Clothing and equipment
Dates of Trip
Group Discount Prices
Frequently Asked Questions
Price W/O Addons: US$ 32673.31 /pax
- A detailed certificate from Marvel Treks and Expedition (after accomplishment)
- Trendy Sunhat and t-shirt as souvenirs on behalf of Marvel Treks and Expedition.
- A complimentary raincoat to shed you during the rainy season.
- A Complimentary Duffel Bag throughout the trek from our company. (returnable)
- A warm complimentary Down Jacket during the entire trek on behalf of Marvel Treks. (returnable)
- A complimentary sleeping bag for your icy trek. (returnable)
- The essential climbing gears like mountain axe, trekking sticks etc, for your need throughout the trek. (returnable)
- Delightful complimentary Authentic Nepali cuisine as dinner to embark on your arrival and departure
- Critical complimentary First Aid Service (in times of need)
- An informative trekking map for you to cherish on behalf of our company
- All the crucial services about airport transfer to and from the hotel via a private tourist vehicle ($40)
- TIMS (Trekkers’ Information Management Systems )($10)
- National park entry fees / ACAP permits / Conservation entry fees. ( $30)
- All essential local tax and Gov tax ($130 )
- All the required office service charges. ($200)
- Marvel Treks and Expedition won’t be responsible for all the Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu.
- Extra nights in any city that’s not accommodated in the itinerary of Marvel Treks and Expedition.
- All the International flight checks and airfares.
- Marvel Treks and Expedition won’t be responsible for alcoholic/ non-alcoholic liquors.
- Additional porter fees along with tips of guides and porters.
- Electronic gadgets like chargers, headphones.
- Individual costs like a hot shower, phone calls, laundry, souvenirs.
- Travel coverage and emergency evacuations.
- Tips for our staff’s drivers.
Gokyo Ri Trek