Annapurna circuit trek with Tilicho Lake
Annapurna circuit trek with Tilicho Lake Overview
Annapurna circuit with Tilicho Lake is a beautiful and most explored destination of Nepal. This trek takes us through one of the highest Lakes along with the highest mountain pass. Tilicho Lake is the world’s highest lake which lies at an altitude of 4919m and is formed by the glacial melt of the Northern slope of Annapurna Mountain and Thorung peak. Similarly, Thorang La pass is the highest altitude of this trek situated at 5416m. The trail passes through deep gorges, high mountain passes like Thorang La pass, Buddhist and Hindu temples, Rhododendron forests, and beautiful villages. Annapurna circuit itself offers a panoramic view of Mount Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, Macchapuchre, Manaslu, and Tukuche. Being highly protected by Annapurna Conservation Area, you get to witness some rare animals like snow leopard, Jackal, Himalayan Tahr, blue sheep, birds, etc along with many flora. This trek starts with a scenic drive from Kathmandu to Besishahar and all the way through Manag valley, you reach the beautiful Tilicho Lake. Again, passing through Yak Kharka, and Thorang phedi you reach the Thorang La pass. Crossing Thorang La pass is the difficult part of this trek.
This is the standard route of the Annapurna circuit trek with Tilicho Lake and might take 18-20 days if you take proper rest and days off. This trek might cost you around 1000$ including your Flight tickets, food, and accommodation, mode of transportation, permits, insurance, and the number of days.
Highlights of Annapurna circuit trek with Tilicho Lake
- Cross one of the highest passes, Thorang La pass.
- Explore the world’s highest lake, Tilicho Lake
- Experience the local culture and lifestyle of Tibetan people.
- Explore several monasteries, Gompa, and Temples.
- Amazing view of mountains like Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, Tukuche peak, and Manaslu
- Diverse flora and fauna of Annapurna Conservation Area.
- Day 01: Kathmandu to Besishahar, 7 hours drive
- Day 02: Besishahar to Chame, 5 hours drive
- Day 03: Chame to Pisang, 5-6 hours trek
- Day 04: Pisang to Manang 5-6 hours trek
- Day 05: Manang to Siri Kharka, 4-5 hours trek
- Day 06: Siri Kharka to Tilicho Base Camp, 5-6 hours trek
- Day 07: Visit Tilicho Lake then back to Siri Kharka: 5-6 hours trek
- Day 08: Siri Kharka to Yak Kharka 4-5 hours trek
- Day 10: Yak Kharka to Thorang Phedi, 3-4 hours trek
- Day 11: Thorong Phedi over the Thorong La pass to Muktinath, 8 hours trek
- Day 12: Muktinath to Tatopani, 4 hours drive
- Day 13: Tatopani to Ghorepani, 4-5 hours trek
- Day 14: Ghorepani to Poon Hill
- Day 15: Tikhedhunga to Nayapul, Drive Nayapul to Pokhara: 3-4 hours trek.1.5 hours drive.
Difficulties and safety
Annapurna circuit with Tilicho Lake is a slightly challenging trek. This is a moderately difficult trek. However, the level of difficulty entirely depends on your physical and mental fitness. But you can build your muscle strength, make your body flexible by practicing some light exercise, running, and jogging. The trek to the Annapurna Circuit with Tilicho Lake is all about walking 5-6 hours per day for at least 17 days. This reason solely is enough to make this trek challenging. The trails are rugged, steep, maybe snowy in off-seasons. The maximum height in this trek is Thorang La pass, 5416m with other high passes on the way. Crossing Thorang La pass is the most difficult part of this trek. There is a high risk of mountain sickness. You need proper acclimatization and itinerary for this trek.
Symptoms of Mountain sickness
- Loss of appetite
- Shortness of breath
- Fast heartbeats
Preventing mountain sickness
- Walk slow
- Stay hydrated
- Have nutritional food
- Have enough rest
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
Medicines for mountain sickness
- Ibuprofen, paracetamol (for headache)
- Promethazine (for nausea)
Trekking to high altitudes can always be risky. Travel Insurance is something you might want to do before trekking anywhere. Sometimes in emergency cases, people need to be evacuated through a helicopter and get medical service. So, in such cases, your travel insurance will be bearing the cost for you.
Seeing all these benefits, the government of Nepal has made travel insurance mandatory thing before trekking. However, it is very important to mention the heights and all the places you will be reaching during your trek. Your insurance entirely depends on the details you have provided earlier. Travel insurance costs you around 150$ which is good for 1 month.
If you are not a Nepalese or Indian citizen, then a visa and a passport are mandatory. You can get your Nepalese Visa at Tribhuvan airport in Kathmandu. The passport must hold a visa of a minimum of 6 months.
Clothing and equipment
Water proof pants
Water proof jackets
Beanies and gloves
Warm shirts and t shirts
Thermal tops and bottoms
Water bottles and water purifier
Trashbag and tissue papers